Principal Officers
2017/2018


E.Comp. J.A.E. Winter
Grand Superintendent


E.Comp. R.A. Stubbs
Deputy Grand Superintendent 


E.Comp. A.J. Walker
2nd Prov G Principal


E. Comp R.G.Parrott
3rd Prov G Principal


E.Comp. M. Gibbons
Prov G Scribe E


E.Comp. C.T. Adams
Prov G D Ceremonies

 

  Home  ::  News  ::  History  ::  Joining the Royal Arch  ::  Chapters  ::  RA Reps Support  ::  Contacts  ::  Links
History of the Royal Arch Province of Staffordshire

It is quite possible that the Royal Arch ceremony was worked in the Craft Lodges of Staffordshire without a separate Royal Arch Chapter being constituted. In the rough draft Minute Book of St Martin’s Lodge from 1807 to 1810, it was found that brethren were proposed in the Lodge for exaltation to the Royal Arch and that the Lodge originally ‘worked the Royal Arch as an integral and essential portion of the 3rd Degree’.

Although there may have been Royal Arch Masons who had been exalted in the Craft Lodges, it is quite clear that there were not a great number of duly constituted Royal Arch Chapters working in 1842. In the neighbouring Province of Worcestershire, apparently no Chapter existed until the Chapter of Dudley was constituted with the assistance of St Peter’s Chapter in 1844, and when the Howe Chapter No 857 was founded in Birmingham in 1852 (on the Petition of St Peter’s Chapter), it is recorded that only two Chapters then existed in the Province of Warwickshire, the other being the Chapter of Fortitude No 51. 

Wolverhampton – A Masonic Centre

By 1842, there were 13 Craft Lodges in Staffordshire. The oldest was the Etruscan Lodge No 285, Stoke-on-Trent, which was founded in 1803 and erased in 1847, and the next St Martin’s No 115 (now No 98) Burslem, which was founded in 1805 on a Warrant originally granted in 1764 for a Lodge in Wolverhampton. There had also been several Lodges in Wolverhampton before St Peter’s was founded in 1834. The first Wolverhampton Lodge, according to Willmore, was constituted on 28th March 1732, the fourth in 1768, and he says that this town “appears—to have been the local centre of our masonic ‘forefathers’ ”. So it was to be for the Royal Arch Masonry in this Province.
 
The Earliest Chapters

In 1833 the only duly constituted Royal Arch Chapters in Staffordshire, apparently, were St Martin’s Chapter No 115, Burslem and, possibly, the Charity and Concord Chapter No 182, Longton, founded in 1813. The Chapter of Fortitude No 427, Stafford, was not founded until the following year, 1834. 

The other 19th century Chapters still flourishing in the Province are, in order of their date of Consecration: 

419

St Peter’s 1842

539

Vernon

1852

418

Staffordshire Knot

1857

624

Abbey

1864

482

St James’

1865

546

Etruscan

1873

1060

Marmion

1875

726

Royal Chartley Chapter of Fortitude

1881

456

Dove

1887

662

Dartmouth

1895

1941

St Augustine’s

1896